Sunday, August 31, 2008

Goodbye Granny

My grandmother died last week, just a little after her 93rd birthday. She had been sick for a while, so it wasn't a surprise, but I'm sad nonetheless. On the other hand, she was tired and needed to rest, so I am glad for her that she is at peace now.
Granny on her 93rd birthday.
She actually died over a week ago, and I haven't been sure if I should write anything here or not, which is why so much time has elapsed. Now I think that I want to note her passing, and to remember her publicly.
She was an identical twin - here they are at one year old! I am not sure which is my Granny and which is my aunt...
We didn't see much of my grandparents when we were kids because we lived in Germany and they lived in England, so they were never people we could just drop by to see casually. I didn't know them as my cousins did, who saw her most days, but going to Granny and Grampa's house was always bound up with the excitement of holidays and going back to England.
Granny on her wedding day, about 70 years ago.
Grampa died over twenty years ago, so he never met Seiju or the boys, but Granny was always very interested in the boys and very proud of them and all her great-grandchildren. I asked Yoshi and Harry what they remembered about going to Great-Granny's house. Harry said he liked going down the footpath at the side of her house to see the stream and the horses or cows that were in the field behind, and drawing pictures and the sweets in her sweet pot! Yoshi said he remembered playing in her chair that went up and down to help her stand up (she let them ride in it!) and her laugh, and the pink wafer biscuits they only ever got to eat at her house.

8 comments:

Tigermama said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother! I can see a resemblance between the two of you in that last picture. :)

trio2005 said...

とうとう、亡くなってしまったんですね。何か、うちの祖母と重なりました。うちの祖母も92歳…。そういう時がもう少しで来るんだなと。
でも、きっとおばあちゃんは安らかになったと思います。
これからは、思い出を胸に生きていきましょう。

illahee said...

i am sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. this is a lovely post, thank you.

Awesome Mom said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Christie D. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's wonderful that your boys had a chance to get to know her and can remember her.

Helen said...

I wrote a message here yesterday, I think it must have been eaten.

I wanted to say how sorry I am about your grandmother. I think that you and your boys are lucky to have had such a great relationship with her. You have lovely memories of her. Thank you for sharing.

Vicky said...

Thanks Helen. It is the first time I saw your message so the first one must have gone wandering off into space somewhere!

Helen said...

I think it did! It might have been me...I think I hit the back button on my browser rather than going to my bookmarks.

No problem anyway.